Saturday, May 31, 2014

How to Draw Free Form Quilting Feathers

I have recently worked out how to quilt feathers. I can't tell you how excited I was when it finally clicked.

Being a busy mum to 4 young children I just don't get as much time as I would like to sit down and practice quilting on my machine. Thats why I decided to try and practice drawing my quilting designs.

I usually have a good hour at night when I'm sitting in front of the TV (keeping hubby company), I find this time in front of the 'box' a bit of a waste because I really could be doing something... useful. So the other night I pulled out some A4 sheets of paper and a pencil and started practicing.


It only took a few nights and finally the shape of the feather just clicked, it's hard to explain, but a few other friends have said the same thing. All of a sudden you just get it.... After that the actual quilting is so much easier!

This was my very first attempt at free form feathers on a project, after just 3 or 4 nights of practicing on paper.
Applique design by Kellie Wulfsohn of 'Don't Look Know'

I had this cushion top sitting in my UFO pile for at least a year, so I thought I would put it to use and practice some free form feathers. Its not perfect, but ohh my goodness I can't tell you how happy it makes me to look at the quilting and being able to say 'I did that!'

If your interested in having a go, I have put together a video on how I draw my feathers.


I'd love you to come back next 'HQ Sweet Sixteen Sunday' when I will stitch out the feathers for you.

Hugs Paula

2 comments:

  1. I can feel your excitement! It's great, isn't it? And I'm sure that they are as perfect as you need them to be! Well done, you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much :) I'm so happy with them!
      Hugs Paula

      Delete