Sunday, February 26, 2012

Sheena Chapman Quilt Show

 I had the most fantastic day yesterday. My Patch Fabrics was once again holding a workshop with the awseome Sheena Chapman.

Sheena has a really fantastic style and so I thought I would take some pictures so I could share a mini quilt show with you.

We had 8 girls in the class. This is a 3 part workshop with 1 class being held each month for the next 3 months. If you would like to see the pictures bigger just click on the pictures.
 We made a heap of string piecing and will then cut them up. Every quilt will be different and will combine Sheenas style and techniques and the makers own ideas mixed in.
Here is Sheenas Argyle Cut quilt. I'm sorry but I have forgotten most of the names of Sheenas Quilts, but they sure are eye candy :)
 And a close up of some of the details.
 This circle quilt is the inspiration for my quilt which I did in Sheenas last class. My quilt is nearly finished and I'm hoping to enter it in my local quilt show next weekend, so I need to get busy and finish it :)
 A few of the girls were also working on the circle quilt. This is a really fun technique where you make curves and circles without pins!
 Dianne was a part of the 'My Patch Sarah Fielke Workshop' a few months ago and she brought along the quilt that was inspired by that workshop. I think its gorgeous!
 This is the design wall that Dianne and Sheena put together at the end of the day. Dianne had this beautiful fabric that was made for Japanese Obe's... Just gorgeous!!!
 Heres another of my favourite Sheena quilts. This one is called Fandango. Isn't the use of a good solid fabric just stunning!
 This is Sheenas Ferris Wheel Quilt. She started with the purple ferris wheel fabric and designed her quilt around that.
It is really fascinating to me that the really busy cream spot fabric actually reads as a neutral in this quilt, so cool!!
Heres another quilt that is mainly based on string piecing. Just lovely!
This is quite a soft quilt for Sheena, but I love it!
Again more pin free curves, so much fun and really quite easy when you see it demonstrated.
Sheena uses Grey as a neutral alot too. A girl after my own heart... I just LOVE grey!
This quilt is one of my favourites! It has amazing details everywhere you look. The tulips are my favourite.
Heres a close up of the tulips. Again pieced in the same way as the pin free curves, they are just gorgeous!
Heres a simple tumbler block made special by the use of light and dark tones.
So cute!
And last but not least my absolute favourite! This is a wallhanging and is totally free piecing. No templates or pins, just a bit of string piecing and an idea. I am definatey going to recreate this one!
Sheenas hand quilting is just so inspiring!
I hope you enjoyed a look at the amazing work of Sheena Chapman. A truely gifted quilter and teacher!

I'll be back in a few days to share my version of Sheenas circle quilt, (just as soon as I finish the hand quilting)

Hugs Paula

1 comment: